Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review: Tarte Amazonian Clay Liner in Bronze







Check out this little cloud! I thought it would be helpful to make a rating system for my reviews, so I came up with a weather theme. If you want to read about the four possible rankings, head over to the About Me > Rating System page!

Today, I am introducing the Tarte Amazonian Clay emphasEYES waterproof liner in Bronze. I have had this liner for about a month, keeping it upside down and in constant room temperature. I don't see any alarming changes in texture, or any indications that it will, so I don't expect this liner to dry up in the near future. Comment below if you want an update on the liner's condition.


This eyeliner came with a double-sided brush. As you can see below, one side is a thin, pointed eyeliner brush and the other side is a small flat shader, most likely for the purpose of smudging or for applying the liner as shadow.


I have to admit that I do not use this brush at all. The brush is beautifully made and the bristles are soft on both ends. However, I think that the pointed tip is slightly too thick.

It seems to "absorb" a lot of the liner, so the liner saturated into the brush gets wasted and I don't get a nice clean line because I have to re-dip my brush multiple times. I think this brush would be good for patting eyeshadow on top of eyeliner. As for the opposite end, I don't smudge my eyeliner, so I never have use for the smudger brush.


This liner is supposedly made of Amazonian clay - and indeed, the texture is noticeably clay-like. I would describe the texture as a thick, smooth paste as opposed to the inky gel of MAC Fluidline. Does texture affect application? Well the product seems to dry slower so you have more time to work with it. You can smooth it over your lashline until you're happy with it. Given that this liner is pigmented and you only need one pass for full opacity, I am satisfied.




The only think remotely questionable about application is that sometimes, the bronze sparkles do not distribute evenly. Occasionally, you may find that your line has a streak of brown without any sparkles. When that happens, you just have to work with it.

Left to Right: Bobbi Brown Black Ink
Tarte Liner in Bronze multiple passes
Tarte Liner in Bronze one pass



See how you can get a very clean line from this liner.

The other thing I really like is that this bronze is not too light - it is a dark medium brown with bronze sparkles. Liners like MAC Rich Ground are a truer bronze but this bronze is more wearable.

As for wear time, I have very oily eyelids (which I mention in every post...) so at the end of the day, the edges of this liner fade, the base color fades, and it transfers a little to my eyelids. It is also very easy to remove, which is a blessing and a curse when you're trying to clean up smudges and accidentally wipe off a whole section of eyeliner. In terms of wear time compared to Bobbi Brown or YSL, I think this wear time is slightly weaker but still acceptable. If you don't have problems with oily lids, then I highly highly recommend this liner.

I do wish the color range were a little wider. The product line has your obligatory black, brown, purple, blue, and olive green. They're basic and slightly unimaginative, so I couldn't find any other colors I wanted besides this bronze color. But if you are just looking for simple colors, check these liners out. I approve of the formula. And I will say that the olive green is really quite pretty, even though it's very dupable.


$24 at Sephora, Ulta, and online at Tarte's website. According to the websites, Sephora doesn't seem to carry green and Ulta doesn't carry blue. One pot is 2.5g, which is slightly less than most gel liners which are around 3g.

Overall: Unique formula/texture. An occasionally inconsistent lay of sparkles. Brush is not useful to me except to look pretty in my brush jar. Wear durability is acceptable but I prefer something closer to perfection at this high end price point! 7.5/10